Wednesday, September 26

Bill O'Reilly Watches Too Much BET!

It is apparent to me that not only do young, black teenagers watch too much BET, Bill O'Reilly does too!

He went to dinner with Al Sharpton in Harlem at Sylvia's and was surprised that it was exactly the same as eating in any other restaurant in NYC. He said, and I quote: "There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' "
Why WOULD there be, Bill? Is that how they acted in CB4? Is that what you saw in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!? Stop watching so much BET, Bill.

Living in a metropolitan area that has a LARGE Black population, I KNOW that some of us can be ignorant & outspoken, but that is with any group. It just seems that because ignorance is what is portrayed on tv, SOME people take it as truth and others perpetuate it.

I want people to stop making this a racist issue though. It is not racist of him, if nothing else take it as a compliment that HE was ignorant enough to believe what he saw on BET and had his perspective changed by the Black people I know that go out to eat & have a good time without any "craziness".

CBS News reported: O'Reilly contrasted his experience at the restaurant with the image "white America" has of a black culture "dominated by Twista, Ludacris and Snoop Dogg."

I want Bill O'Reilly to step out of his white bread box & realize that what you see on tv is not how everyday middle class Black Americans live. I certainly don't have rims on MY car, or large jewelry. I own my home & have a degree. When I go out to the CLUB, I may act a LITTLE like I am in a Luda video once I get some Ciroc in my system & my DJ plays my tune, but on a MUCH smaller scale. But this is not how I act in a restaurant, the grocery store or the mall. I know right from wrong & appropriate from inappropriate.

My point is, Bill O'Reilly clearly doesn't have much experience with Black people who aren't famous or infamous. His scope of Black people seems to consist of Luda, Twista, Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson. All four are extremes on VERY different spectrums. All four people I do NOT know. He seems to only know what BET shows him. I want to say to Mr. O'Reilly as much as you talk about how the media tries to spin things, you should know not to fall victim to what you see on television. Not every black person is Ludacris, hell CHRIS BRIDGES isn't even Ludacris!

The people I know don't end up on the news or in the headlines because we are just regular old working middle class Americans trying to EARN a living & not rock the boat. I'm an upstanding citizen just like you Mr. O'Reilly, so please stop being so surprised that I conduct myself in a manner similar if not superior to you in my daily dealings.

Now if you don't mind, I am going to get myself some M-Fing SWEET TEA!(not iced tea)

PEACE OUT!

No comments: