Monday, February 22

Shutter Island/ Shudder Island

I saw Shutter Island yesterday with some of my girls from grad school. And let me first say, it was NOT what I thought it would be. And I mean that in a bad AND good way.

Let's start with the bad first... I was looking for a psychological thriller with scares & chills & things that go bump in the night. So when there was more talk than real spooky, scary, gory action, I had to adjust my mindset a little & get into it in a new way.

The GOOD part... I was REALLY surprised by the turn of events. And the ending left me wanting to go back and read the book! The ending also made us feel like our MA's in Forensic Psychology did NOTHING to prepare us for what we had just experienced. We sat in silence for a few moments at the end of the film just trying to wrap our minds around it. It went THAT deep for us.

I don't want to give away TOO much. But i want you all to know that the end of the movie made me shudder. I could not imagine being in that scenario or anything close to it. It was fascinating to me... so much so that I have the book on hold at Borders & I am going to pick it up this evening. I have to be able to go back through and fully comprehend what it is I saw!

I encourage anyone that likes psychological movies to go check this out. It will not be what you expect. My girl had to read the plot synopsis during the movie to be able to get in the right place for it, mentally. HILARIOUSNESS!
 The official Paramount Synopsis:
Synopsis: From Oscar®-winning director Martin Scorsese, "Shutter Island" is the story of two U.S. marshals, Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo), who are summoned to a remote and barren island off the coast of Massachusetts to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a murderess from the island’s fortress-like hospital for the criminally insane. --© Paramount

And it's a SWINDLE because the movie is SO much more than that!

1 comment:

L. Denise said...

I'm scared :-(